Thursday 27 February 2014

'D' - lightful!

When I lived overseas one of the highlights of any day was the mail. I had to travel to the Post Office to get it and nothing can describe either the joy in receiving or the disappointment at finding nothing there. And then there were the parcels - even better. I received some very unusual items in packages. One of the most memorable got me an invite to customs as the white powder leaking from the parcel had caused some concern. Love my sherbet fountains - what can I say?! When we had visitors it was lovely so see them but even lovelier to see what they'd brought with them - chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate! And, for some reason Angel Delight. Peru didn't really do puddings so I suppose something like Angel Delight became extra special, particularly among the English.

All of this gets me around to my little God alphabet - now 'D' for delight! This is a lovely, lovely God word because it tells us that God delights in us. According to dictionary definitions God is charmed, enchanted, captivated, entranced and thrilled by me. And I give him pleasure, happiness, joy and gladness. Wow! Simply writing those words makes me smile, sit up that bit straighter and taller (?) and feel better about myself. To think that this is how God sees me is amazing. And surely that ought to change me. Maybe if I saw myself more as God sees me I would be the better person for it. I see lots of fb posts on how we shouldn't concern ourselves with how others see us, particularly if they are putting us down - but we can do even better than that. We can look in a mirror and say 'God delights in me - he is charmed, enchanted, captivated, entranced and thrilled by little ME'. And not by what I do or what I have achieved - but just by who I am - simply by me. In response he asks us to delight ourselves in him - in all we are and in what we do to give him pleasure, happiness, joy and gladness. 


And Angel Delight - if you ever invite me to dinner, please don't feel obliged to serve it up - think I had my fill of it all those years ago. 
I like to think my tastes have become more sophisticated. Bring on the jelly and ice cream!
But if you would like '1001 ways with Angel Delight' I think I can oblige!

No comments:

Post a Comment