Friday 7 February 2014

BIG girl now!

'You're a big girl now' I can still hear my mother, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to have heard these words. Especially if you were the big sister, they were thrown at you all too often! For me it usually happened if I was caught teasing my brother (never!) or getting him into trouble (double never!). The idea was that I ought to know better - being the 'big girl'. Thing is, there were times when I didn't want to be the big girl and carry the can every time. And yet, I was my brother's protector and would have given my life for him. One of my treasured possessions is a card from the grown up version written to 'the best big sister ever'.

Today was drop in cafe day and I was referred to as 'that big girl' by one of my wee drop in mates. Those of you who know me well know that I am far from big - and shrinking fast! But it is all in the eye of the beholder and in some way today I was 'big'. There were some heavy conversations in the cafe today - big issues of life and death; heaven and hell; and what dog food is best! I don't feel big dealing with some of this. In fact, I feel very small at times. But my secret is I have a great big God who loves all the slightly 'lost for the moment' souls who come our way. As often happens, this morning I ranged from tremendous laughter to almost tears because God has given this little woman a big heart - so maybe in that way I am a 'big girl now'.

I was also called 'sweetheart' today by the same person - and my prayer is that my heart always remains soft and sweet towards those who need a mama, a grandma - or even a big sister now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment