Sunday 26 October 2014

Skin deep?

We sometimes hear the phrase 'beauty is only skin deep' - often used to 'encourage' (or patronize?!) those of us who wouldn't call ourselves beauties; could never see ourselves doing the Miss World 'what would you wish for - world peace' thing! We're told that real beauty goes beyond skin deep; true beauty is what comes from inside and is so much more important.

Today I read this little phrase in the book of Luke - words spoken by John the Baptist - 'It's your life that must change, not your skin'. He's calling people to turn their lives around; change how they live; leave the past behind - or as Jesus would say later be 'born again'

It's an unusual little phrase - a different slant on John's usual 'Repent or else' message. He's talking about 'skins' because he's calling his hearers vipers or snakes. I suppose that makes the changing skin thing make sense.

Whatever - it made me think today. How much is the change Jesus makes in
our lives just skin deep? How easily satisfied are we with little changes or tweaks here and there? How content are we to enjoy all the surface stuff, but not let ourselves go 'over the top'? 

Recently I have seen lives profoundly changed by Jesus - real change going way beyond skin deep. Skin deep would in no way describe them. In fact, skin deep wouldn't have lasted. The surface make-over would have faded or been worn away by now. Deep change from within is clear in these lives. Nothing else would do. It is wonderful to see.

But I see other lives too. I hear all the right words; even see some of the right actions. Thinking of John's snake picture, I would see these lives as chameleons - they change according to circumstances. I've watched lizards in Africa change colour to blend in with surroundings - and I see people do the same thing. The change is skin deep.

I don't want to be a skin deep Christian - ever. I don't want to be a chameleon. I know the change Jesus made to my life began in my heart and I want that then to translate into who I am and how I behave on the outside. I don't want cosmetic, surface change simply because that doesn't last. And simply because Jesus wants and deserves more.

There's one more phrase while I'm at it - 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. Am I glad that my 'beholder' is my Jesus and I am beautiful!




No comments:

Post a Comment