Friday 19 September 2014

Who do you think you are?

I am by birth a wee Scot; a wee weegie born in Glasgow. As a child I was very proud of my Scottish birth because it made me different. I already figured I was different anyway, and being Scottish born just added to the mystery that was me! I left Scotland for Ireland at a very young age, but not before, apparently, I took my first steps there and performed my duty as little tubby flower girl at my Uncle's wedding - and no, you are not seeing the picture!

A few years back, on a trip to Glasgow, I went on a mission to find the place of my birth, and how chuffed was I to find the house where I was born - still standing. Unfortunately there was no one at home, so I didn't get a look inside, but just seeing the house and standing outside was very special indeed. It was a lovely link with the past. 

I have a very mixed heritage - a Welsh mother, an Irish father and a Scottish birth - and during these last days and weeks my thoughts have been with Scotland as they made their big yes/no decision about their future in the UK. As I said earlier today, I am glad in a way that Scotland stayed with us, but there is that little rebellious part of me that says - well done Scotland for giving it a go - for making the bid for freedom!

I suppose much of what has gone on recently is about identity. 'Who do you think you are?' is a popular TV show which helps famous people trace their roots. According to the title its purpose is to help people figure out who they are; who or what formed them. Lots of things shape us, including place and circumstances of birth and upbringing, as well as those who have gone before us. No doubt there are things and people in my past that have shaped me.

I thank God for much of that, but I am me and who I really am is being shaped and formed by God. I am a one-off, unique individual; a child of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment