Wednesday 24 December 2014

Happy Christmas!

My memories of childhood Christmases are good. 

It wasn't about the food. After catching my mum gutting the turkey one year both my brother and myself refused to eat turkey for the rest of our days at home! Best Christmas food memories involve chocolate - now there's a surprise!

It wasn't about presents. I did have some good ones. I absolutely loved the new set of colouring pencils I got each year. I remember being just a wee bit disappointed when what I thought was a red handbag turned out to be a nurse's kit. The disappointment didn't last long though when I realised how much fun I could have sticking needles into my guinea pig brother! And was I ever the red handbag sort of girl anyway?!

Christmas was all about Jesus. We didn't go to church at Christmas as kids. We were always taught that Christmas was about Jesus being born, but if I'm honest, he didn't figure hugely on the day itself.

But thinking about it now, I always knew he was there. I felt very unsafe during much of my childhood. I lived with a constant sense of danger and threat. But Christmas day was different. There was something inside that told me it was safe. Nothing bad was going to happen. I was safe.  Christmas Day was a happy day; it was fun with no sense of danger; it was safe. I can't explain why, but what I know is that when each Christmas comes my memories are happy, and I totally love the day.

Jesus came at Christmas and stayed. He can make the most amazing difference to a day - any day. And even if this Christmas is more than usually sad or dark or uncertain for you - Jesus is there.

So, Happy Christmas everyone. I don't think I'll be having colouring pencils - I hope not, Santa! Or a nurse's kit! But there is chocolate in the air! Happiness all round!



No comments:

Post a Comment